Monday, August 25, 2008

My Lazy Sunday

My lazy Sunday yesterday consisted of the following:

- Ikea shopping
- Mall shopping
- Movie - Bottle Shock
annnnnd...
- Dollar Used Bookstore Shopping

Shop shop shop is what I say!

The mall was weird yesterday, I don't know what was with it. I went into Victoria's Secret and they have this new bra they're asking everyone to try out. I get it. I fend off one salesperson, "No, no thank you, leave me along with the lacy things." when another approaches me, and asks if I need anything, I told her no, I'm good. She then proceeds to tell me about their new bra, how many women, of all sizes like it and blah blah blah. She then says "Oh yeah! I'm wearing one right now!" and pulls out her bra strap.

Thank you, but no thanks, I say, you probably don't even carry my size. I am blessed, but Victoria's secret is that she doesn't cater to the more endowed ladies of the world. She might try, but it's always a last ditch effort. The salesperson kept going about how lots of women love this bra, it gives them what they need. Now, she's holding one in her hand and I can tell by looking at it that it won't work for me. The thing with the VS bras is that they push everything out and to the middle. This type of thing doesn't work for those of us with larger than a C rack. It doesn't. There's only so much pushing together you can do before they spill out the front and it looks like you've got 6 breasts your hiding under your shirt.

It just doesn't work.

So Victoria's Secret...no, I don't want to try your new bra. Not until you come to realize that not EVERYONE can wear the same bra. Design a different bra for the larger cup sizes and then, maybe, and only maybe, will I try your bras again.

It made me very uncomfortable and defensive for some reason. Once I fended off the saleslady, who was really nice otherwise, I tried to be polite about it, I couldn't stand it. I walked out of the store in a huff. I kind of wanted to cry out right then, "YOU DON"T GET IT, YOU HAVE AN A CUP!! I CAN"T WEAR ANY OL' BRA!! SHUT UP!"

That leads me to the Dollar Bookstore. Love this place. I don't think I've gone in there without walking away with a large armful of books I had to think twice about buying. But, c'mon they are each only a dollar! And books are magical.

When I walked out, I imagined all the characters and joy inside the pages I was buying. I bought a few Young Adult books for my cousin. Some books I thought she should have in her collection. I had been talking about this one book at work, so I bought 2 copies of it for my co-workers. I sat down last night and started to read one and noticed a transcription on the inside of the front cover...this is what it said.
This is one of my favorite books because it reminds me of my feelings when I had just turned 15 and went to live with Janet Mumford and her family in my beloved Laguna Beach for the entire summer of 1968. It was like living a whole lifetime in one summer.

That's all it says. No name, no date, nothing. I loved that. This book found ME. It chose ME. So sorry co-workers, this one's mine copy to keep.

That's the magic of used books. They are well loved. Finding writing or notes within books is a little slice of life, a slice of something beautiful.

I'm going to keep buying used books.

No comments:

Post a Comment